Reply to post: Re: @Alien8n

Home Office told to stop telling EU visa porkies

ibmalone

Re: @Alien8n

The EU has a huge bill for us. And cry their little hearts out when told no. And almost have an aneurysm when we suggest taking our share of the assets.

All this stuff, and of course the German car manufacturers who were going to save us, is just self delusion. The EU would like a deal, but they're getting fairly bored of the whole affair. Brexit is going to affect the UK far more than the EU, their remaining major concern is trying to support the Irish in not having a hard border, and as we keep refusing to do that (rambling on about technical solutions that don't exist) there's not much left to talk about. And of course they'd like us to pay our remaining commitments. Maybe we'll wrangle out of them, it'll be an auspicious start to 'taking a new place' (or an old and somewhat worn stool) on the world stage to have mitched out of treaty commitments. I'm sure everyone will admire us and be eager to do business.

Of course those who want to remain in the EU are against no deal or the hard brexit that some on the other side want. But guess what? 52:48 means the winning side is going to have to compromise some. And they didn't. The withdrawal agreement got voted down by the ERG, who aren't usually seen as the most staunch of remainers.

If the leave camp were willing to compromise on a softer brexit then they might have had it sorted out three years ago. If they could have agreed with each other what they wanted they might have sorted it out this year. But no, there was a plan, and it was to trigger article 50 and stymie a deal until the clock ran out, while persuading everyone that we've always been at war with eastasia. I'll admit it's been nicely played.

Meanwhile it's all justified because people can tell themselves stories about how the Big Bad EU are Crying Their Little Hearts out. A bit inconsistent, but that's fantasists for you.

If you don't believe me about eastasia, I'll leave you with this quiz question:

Boris steps in with his oct deadline

Who set the October 31 deadline?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon