Reply to post: Re: Inaccurate

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson moves to shut Parliament

I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Inaccurate

As I understand it (and I'm not expert), Parliament was going to be suspended again on 14th September anyway, for party conference season. When Parliament doesn't normally sit. So what he's actually done is remove 4 days from them, which is a bit less of the "oh shit it's a coup" and more of an "oh dear it's Parliamentary shennanigans".

So there's still a week for a vote of no confidence, or for backbenchers to sieze control of the order paper, like they did briefly in January.

He's then ending this session of Parliament in order to start a new one and have a Queen's Speech. Which is actually a perfectly normal thing to do on a change of PM - this is the longest continuous session in hundreds of years. Although I'm not sure if the Queen's Speech is amendable legislation or not? If not losing it causes the end end of the government.

They will however have to bring in some Brexit legislation - either to prep for no deal or an amended version of the current deal (if they can create enough fudge).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon