Reply to post: Straight to pure electric is too big a leap

Electric cars can't cut UK carbon emissions while only the wealthy can afford to own one

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Straight to pure electric is too big a leap

A friend with a tesla has a regular journey that's too far for the battery so he routinely stops for lunch at a restaurant with tesla charging points. Not only does that add the cost of a meal and the time taken but it also means he needs to plan his journey to fit in with the restaurant opening hours.

Pure electric may be OK for relatively local commute/shopping but battery anxiety is a problem, even if there were more charging points (and standard connectors) planning a lengthy stop to recharge is a problem. And remember the recharge may take an hour, compare with a few mins to refill petrol, forecourts would need to be far larger to accommodate the recharging vehicles.

Best answer is hybrid for an interim period at least. I have Toyota Auris. The battery is tiny compared to an all-electric vehicle and hybrid has the extra weight of a conventional drive train. The battery alone would not take you very far but it's real use is to give a power boost when needed and in low speed stop-start traffic.

I guess as things progress the conventional engines could get smaller and batteries bigger.

My only gripe is lack of manual control. I have a regular route of about 40 miles. Outbound I get about 80mpg, return on the same route 60mpg, same amount of climb each way (light traffic, few traffic lights). I think I could get it to 80mpg both ways if I could override the system to tell it things like "I know there's a long descent coming up so maximise battery use before we get there" for example.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019