Reply to post:

Electric cars can't cut UK carbon emissions while only the wealthy can afford to own one

Martin an gof Silver badge

The battery lasts about 400,000 miles.

Like heck they do. Most manufacturers seem to offer a 7-ish year "lifespan" and expect 10 - 12,000 miles a year.

For example, Nissan offers an 8-year, 100,000 mile (whichever occurs first) "Lithium-Ion Battery gradual capacity loss coverage" warranty on their higher capacity battery, but only 5-year, 60,000 miles on the lower capacity one:

The Nissan LEAF & eNV200 lithium-ion battery state of health guarantee protects against battery capacity loss (less than 9 bars out of 12) as shown on the in vehicle capacity gauge for a period of 8 years / 100,000 miles* for 40 kWh vehicles and 8 years / 100,000 miles* for 30 kWh vehicles and 5 years / 60,000 miles* for 24kWh vehicles. For LEAF flex customers, the battery state of health guarantee applies for the duration of the battery lease.

Their battery leasing programme has severe restrictions on mileage - probably based on the above, where 100,000 miles over 8 years comes to 12,500 miles a year. I did around 24,000 miles last year, though it's likely to be slightly lower from now on.

I am very tempted by an electric vehicle for my 90 mile a day (mostly) motorway commute, but until recently none of the more affordable cars could guarantee a 90 mile range in the winter with the heating, lights and wipers on, particularly towards the end of the warranty period as the battery approaches 75% capacity

M.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019