Reply to post: Re: Advertising

AMD agrees to cough up $35-a-chip payout over eight-core Bulldozer advertising fiasco

Alan Johnson

Re: Advertising

The problem with this case is that AMD were completely accurate but despite this were sued and had to make a pay out.

A CPU has never needed to include an FPU, for the first decade or so of my career FPUs were always additional accelerator devices or even boards It is still the case that many CPUs do not have FPUs. I recently designed a twin core fixed point DSP system, with (fixed point is the clue) no FPU.

AMD were completely accurate and precise using the normal meaning of the word core. I am sure their detailled literature and any technical reviews would also have been accurate. That total accuracy does not protect a company from a lawsuit by ignorant and negligent purchasers, or perhaps just opportunists who see a chance to get a little money does not paint the US legal system in a good light.

Every sympathy for AMD in this completely unjust situation, ignoring the money what about the unfair reputational damage?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon