Reply to post: The elephant in the room

Electric cars can't cut UK carbon emissions while only the wealthy can afford to own one

SImon Hobson Bronze badge

The elephant in the room

Nearly 200 comments and so far no mention of the factor that will blow the CO2 emissions argument out of the water.

Until we have an excess of low/zero carbon generation (which means a mix of renewables and nuclear, and we aren't going to have enough of either in the foreseeable future to have an excess of capacity) then EVs will add to the demand for fossil fuel generation - so they aren't zero emissions, even more so in winter when lecky from teh battery is used for heating rather than waste heat from an ICE.

But, I can say that if I had an EV (which I can charge at home), then the "fuel" is very very cheap. I'd do a lot more miles than I do in the petrol & diesel cars we have now. If I want to go into town, then I think about the £5 or more it'll cost in fuel - and only go when it's necessary and/or I've collected up enough reasons to make it worthwhile. With a lecky car, the per-mile cost would be such that I'd "just go" and only be considering the cost in my own time.

I wonder what that does to the "more efficient from the gas in the power station to the road vs petrol in the tank to the road argument ? Discuss !

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon