Reply to post: Re: A bit out of date?

Electric cars can't cut UK carbon emissions while only the wealthy can afford to own one

macjules Silver badge
Unhappy

Re: A bit out of date?

Sorry to disagree with you on this. The wear on EV tyres is significantly higher than for ICE vehicles, due to the torque. I estimated that it was at least 25% higher as I usually had to change tyres at least once every 2 years, and I owned a Tesla Model S from 2014 to 2018.

As for the dichotomy of sales v service I would not worry too much about it. BMW i3 EV (for example) has a pretty abysmal service record where Fast Charging causes certain features to be reset, Low-cost charging does not work at all etc. - all blamed by BMW upon "users not knowing how to use our App"

I might consider another EV sometime in the future when car manufacturers stop the incessant BS and make cars with a range that honestly matches an ICE car with a full tank or a genuine "10 minute 95% recharge". Until then I am happy polluting Southern England with my Alfa Stelvio and its warning after 400 miles when it is about to run out of distilled ancient tree juice.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019