Reply to post: Re: Never live it down

Beware the developer with time on his hands and dreams of Disney

Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Never live it down

Once you have exchange, PSTs should become a thing of the past - get all their email onto the server.

Yes, because servers never fail and are always reliably backed up, eh? And IT never impose a size limit on the mailbox. Horrible as PSTs are, I'm not giving mine (and the backups I make of them) up, thanks anyway. Though I admit I've considered writing something to export them to a less-idiotic format, such as mbox.1

At least Outlook (despite its myriad faults) lets you maintain an offline copy of what's on the server, for when you can't reach the server. Which, in my experience, is often.

1mbox is pretty dumb; it's a historical accident, created to avoid the overhead of storing individual small messages in separate files in the days before the Berkeley fragmenting filesystem was added to BSD. But plain text is a thousand times better than a fragile, uncooperative, black-box, half-assed database format which doesn't even perform well. (I can grep through a thousand messages in mbox format much faster than Outlook can search an equivalent number in a PST, and Outlook's search mechanism is very limited.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon