Reply to post: Re: Lenovo crapware

Security gone in 600 seconds: Make-me-admin hole found in Lenovo Windows laptop crapware. Delete it now

Halfmad

Re: Lenovo crapware

Years ago I use to run IT for a group of schools, during build up to the summer holidays I'd order in PCs to replace existing but ageing ones, I'd always order 2-3% more than needed. When asked why - I explained to management that we expected at least a 1% failure rate on either the base unit or monitor and as the rooms had a fixed number of PCs needed per class, (typically 20 + 1 teacher) we had to ensure those were identical and working. The only way to avoid being a few down, as these would be installed right up until the day before students came back was the over-order and have the faulty units RMA'd and used elsewhere in the schools e.g. admin areas when they came back, the "extra" PCs would be used after all, no money wasted.

Took them a while to get to grips with it but as it was an operational thing and we typically got a larger discount by ordering in greater numbers they were OK with it. As you said singular experiences aren't really helpful. I'd be ordering 1500-1600 PCs for every summer, some years were better than others depending on who we were forced to buy from (Dell/HP etc) but failure rates were always around 0.8-1.1% typically PSU related or damage en-route.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon