Reply to post: Re: Paying for free stuff

As browser rivals block third-party tracking, Google pitches 'Privacy Sandbox' peace plan

mark l 2 Silver badge

Re: Paying for free stuff

If you are a large website with lots of content like Youtube or a site where people visit frequently like a social media website, then a subscription or ppv option might work. But that wouldn't really work for a site you might only visit once because you are searching for some particular bit of information, so land on a blog article or news article. Advertising on these smaller websites is the only viable option.

If I were to pay even a nominal amount of 10p per visit to these site, it would soon make my web surfing astronomically expensive.

I find targeted ads very stupid anyway, I search for a new phone and then buy it, yet for weeks afterwards I am still getting targeted ads for phones even though I never click on them.

And for weeks I kept getting make up ads on Youtube even though I am male, have never searched for makeup on there, am the only person who uses the device, and mostly watch comedy, cars, music and tech videos on Youtube.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020