Reply to post: Re: How to fix?

How four rotten packets broke CenturyLink's network for 37 hours, knackering 911 calls, VoIP, broadband

Jellied Eel Silver badge

Re: How to fix?

My question is how..? A case of just rebooting the kit as the packets and sessions shouldn't be persistent? Or is there some dark art I'm unfamilar with where you can go onto a node (I'm reading a node as a switch / router. Afraid fiber isn't one of my skills) and almost select packets based on a filter and then remove them?

Yes and no.. But usually once a broadcast storm's started, and amping up, then jumping on the device to add filters is too late, because the device is busily broadcasting. The dark art* often becomes a seek & destroy exercise to figure out where the broadcast traffic originates, and isolating that. Once a storm's started though, it can be like playing whack-a-mole given broadcast frames already in flight, or buffered/queued.

*That art often being waving the rubber chicken and rebooting the device. Then hoping you can reconnect to that device. My first experience of this was on a large Cascade network, where much the same thing happened.. Except the switch control cards also decided they'd faulted and switched out/to backup cards. So then playing hunt the master switch & trying to get control back of the network. That day, I learned why it's a really good idea to have OOB access to all potential masters.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon