Reply to post: App Store

Dropbox would rather write code twice than try to make C++ work on both iOS and Android

Tim Almond

App Store

I looked into apps a few years ago and walked away from it. It wasn't the development side but the ecosystem, particularly the Apple app store. The costs of an annual license, having to own a Mac, and a recent Mac to upload to the store, how it has to be reviewed before a change goes up, have to use their ad service, they can reject it because of how it looks or behaves. They've even interfered to stop people making off-the-shelf templated apps or code generators.

The Play store was much more reasonable, but if I'm going to be doing one, I'd really have to do both. It's not even just the cost of buying that stuff, it's that it's deliberate pain by Apple, and that gets my back up. Coming from the world of the web, where it's a whole load of open standards and you use what you want to use to do what you want to do, it feels like a backward step.

It's why web apps and PWAs are the real future. Cross-platform, open standards. The devices are fast enough to do some pretty sophisticated stuff with a browser. Chrome is adding more and more stuff that can be accessed via Javascript, so you don't need an app to get NFC.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon