Reply to post:

Looming US immigration crackdown aims to weed out pre-crime of poverty. And that may be bad news for techie families

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Dude, at any one moment there are people speaking 160 languages in Toronto. More in NYC. Most people think it enriches culture, except you, obviously.

When my great-grandparents immigrated to the US.....My grand-kids can't get a proper education because.....

So six generations of your family: 1) Great-Grandparents, 2) Grandparents, 3) Your Parents, 4) You, 5) Your children, 6) Your grandchildren.

I estimate that your great-grandparents landed about 150 years ago. Perhaps in the mid-1800's, possibly before enactment of the Naturalization Act of 1870.

"When my great-grandparents immigrated to the US they had to sign paperwork agreeing that they wouldn't be allowed taxpayer-funded benefits. They had to have employment lined up or the ability to be self-reliant. They had to pass a medical exam. They had to be able to speak, read, and write English. "

Taxpayer-funded benefits: which ones? Those were non-existent in back then.

They had to have employment lined up or the ability to be self-reliant. No, they didn't and generally couldn't. That would have been an almost impossible requirement to meet.

They had to pass a medical exam: a cursory examination on entry. Say ahh. The greatest risk was TB.

They had to be able to speak, read, and write English: Pure BS. Most immigrants from Europe, obviously excepting immigrants from the UK, did not speak, read or write English.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon