Reply to post:

Researchers peer into crystal ball to see future where everyone's ID is tied to their smartphone

DougS Silver badge

If done right nothing will go wrong. It is the "something you have" to go along with "something you know". So "done right" would mean not using finger/face ID as a password, but require typing in a password - at least for really important stuff like transferring money out of your investment account.

For less important stuff like posting on El Reg I'd be fine with a simple ID based on having my phone near me talking to my computer via Bluetooth to give it a challenge/response to login to El Reg without a password on my PC.

What I don't like about this article is saying it will be worth $7 billion to mobile operators by 2024. My carrier has no business being involved in this, and I would never use any service that tried to charge. Though I'd like to see them introduce a service that charges, then see Apple & Google steal their lunch money by building it into iOS/Android using the Secure Element / ARM equivalent of Secure Element on Androids. Any time the mobile carriers get a good comeuppance I'm favor of it!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019