Reply to post:

Plot twist: Google's not spying on King's Cross with facial recognition tech, but its landlord is

$till$kint

Similar issue in my car, made worse when you turn on the adaptive speed limiter that *does* reduce your speed to match the limit as you pass a sign.

Unfortunately it chose to read a 50 marker on the back of a lorry on the motorway, causing the car to brake unexpectedly from the 70 I had been doing.

It also dislikes large, light coloured vehicles parked on the near-side on gentle right hand bends, although only on bright, sunny days.

In these situations it likes slamming the brakes on to avoid the collision that wasn't going to happen.

First "feature" now turned off. It still gets stuff wrong, but just flashes annoyingly rather than attempting to insert my tailgate into the bonnet of the following vehicle. Second feature dialed back to least sensitive, notionally reducing the protection offered as the car will brake later and harder if I miss something going on in front of me, but actually increasing my safety by not activating erroneously.

Autonomous vehicles may be coming, but they're a way off yet.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon