Reply to post: Re: Brexit bollocks

Science and engineering hit worst as Euroboffins do a little Brexit of their own from British universities

Jellied Eel Silver badge

Re: Brexit bollocks

Face it: Global anthropogenic warming is real. We need to change the way we use ressources. Neglecting to do that will have disastrous consequences.

Nope, it's a great big nothingburger. Especially if you're thinking of studying at Goldsmiths-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-49321560

"Declaring a climate emergency cannot be empty words.

"I truly believe we face a defining moment in global history and Goldsmiths now stands shoulder to shoulder with other organisations willing to call the alarm and take urgent action to cut carbon use."

To be fair, Prof Corner isn't a climate scientist, but does know a bit about fashion. And possibly revenue opportunities, ie taxing her supplicants. It's also a bit strange that the headline's about banning hamburgers, yet she rants about the environmental impact of beef. Oh, and there's a certain irony about a college founded by Goldsmiths being environmentally sensitive. I guess Corner's doing a Bismark. Enjoy your gold, just don't think too hard about where it comes from.

Yes. Real scientists agree on that, see all of the past IPCC reports.

Ah, well.. I have. So there's a thing called RCP, or 'Representative Concentration Pathway'. So they're some assumptions about the exchange rate between CO2* and warming. So at the disaster end, there's RCP8.5, which is basically 8.5W/m^2 additional warming due to CO2 levels rising >1000ppmv. That translates to a possible 4-5C warming by 2100, and could be bad.

A more realistic scenario is RCP4.5, which tracks closer to observable reality wrt CO2 levels, projections and results in 2C or so warming. Which we've already had. So no 'climate emergency', and nothing in the IPCC reports that suggest we need to get decarbonising by 2025, or the planet gets it.. In fact, it says pretty much the opposite, ie the greater the negative economic impacts. Like unemployment, energy poverty, deaths etc etc.

Sooo.. I guess to get back on topic, one potential test for visiting academics is to ask their expert opinions about climate emergencies.. And if they're part of the doomsday cult, throw them on the next carbon-free transport back to their place of departure. And as for Brexit, the UK will still have the ability to welcome researchers (and their funding) to the UK.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon