Reply to post: Re: It Needs Something

£250m fund for NHS artificial intelligence laboratory slammed as tech for tech's sake

Joe W Silver badge

Re: It Needs Something

That is of course true, but the question is (in this case) if there is actually a real plan to do something, instead of this being an "upper manglement wants shiny-shiny"-situation, or just a "we'll throw some money at AI, because AI".

I stumbled across an article in a newspaper last week that was actually discussing ML for cancer detection, and at the moment it does not work well enough to wrap it into a product. Yes, further research is needed, but that should be a strategic decision. I am also always for funding research (and development, though once it is product development it would preferably be market driven, but let's not discuss that point...), but I'm against just throwing money at stuff because somebody thinks it is cool and then loudly announces this as a major step (while other problems persist that would need much more money to fix). AI and ML is over hyped snakeoil (in many cases, not all of them, I know)...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019