Reply to post: Re: Focusing on the use case of the OS is looking at the wrong place

Linux Journal runs shutdown -h now for a second time: Mag editor fires parting shot at proprietary software

heyrick Silver badge

Re: Focusing on the use case of the OS is looking at the wrong place

Wow.

There are many points I could respond to, but I'll pick in this one specific point: Then you leave it in a car park where the car park owner takes a liking to it and legally transfers control to him. You come back to find you must pay to access your car and that the car will now only start on a sunday just because the new owner thinks it should.

The thing you are missing here is that the car park owner takes a COPY of my car and makes it his, and his copy of my car only works on Sunday. My ORIGINAL car is still there and still works exactly as I had intended it to. The car park owner could replace my car's open design with whatever closed one he wants. It won't make a single remotest bit of difference to my car. It would be like suggesting that if I go into the garage and spray paint a giant dick into my car, every Citroen C1 in the world would suddenly sport a badly drawn phallus. It just doesn't work like that.

Unless, of course, that was some sort of reference to software patents, which are bullshit, and no licence on Earth is necessarily going to save you from a company with deep pockets if they think you "stole" their idea.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon