Reply to post:

Ohm my God: If you let anyone other than Apple replace your recent iPhone's battery, expect to be nagged by iOS

Jellied Eel Silver badge

Perhaps someone can just come up with some international standards.

I think that was the idea behind the subsidy structure, so incentivising an ICE-like refueling process. Filling up a traditional fuel tank is a quick & simple pumping job, so sets a target. Be able to go from empty to full in say, 15mins.

So EVs are trickier to create a safe electron pump that could charge a tank at the same rate a regular fuel pump transfers energy. 100kWh battery, so just charge it at 400kW and job's a good'un in 15mins. Give or take any losses, and complications dealing with the heat generated. And of course safety given you'd be letting a typical motorist get hands-on with some rather lethal DC power systems. And then training for servicing and maintaining infrastructure at electron flilling stations.

So some old Tesla PR vids showed a car rolling into a pitstop, the battery pack being dropped, and a fresh one installed. But the battery pack is a substantial portion of the vehicle, and heavy.. So thoroughly bolted to the floor of the car to prevent accidental ejection of an incendiary device in the event of a collision. So kinda tricky to come up with a quick release system that's both safe and quick.

Plus the ownership issues, like the battery pack is also a substantial part of the cost of the vehicle, and customers may not be happy having their new pack swapped for an old one.. Which also includes cost/liability issues managing inventory at charging stations. Defective/failing packs become the operator's problem, not the owners. I think given the volume/mass of batteries in an EV, you couldn't do a quick change without that becoming a substantial part of the EV's design. So potentially easier to have a slide-out pack in a van or SUV, much less easy with a sedan or coupe.

And I guess there are similar issues with phones. So old Nokias etc were designed with battery swaps in mind, and the batteries were nice, rugged lil plastic biscuits. The batteries in new phones are a bit more fragile, so going back to replaceable versions would mean designing cases to allow swaps, and marketing grumbling about not having the world's slimmest phone claim.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019