Reply to post: Large mail providers run their own blacklists

Microsoft blocked TSO Host's email IPs from Hotmail, Outlook inboxes and no one seems to care

DougMac

Large mail providers run their own blacklists

None of the large mail providers depend on SORBS or the other public RBLs now-a-days, they have their own internal RBL system that they use (seeing the viability and usability of the RBLs out there, I don't blame them).

Thus you have to deal with each on their own terms. And deal with each large mail provider on their own. Most like Comcast or Yahoo keep you on the block list for some short period, see if you are still sending SPAM and if you are, will renew the blocks. If they see the rate down, you get auto-delisted.

So if the rate of SPAM in Microsoft SNDS stays up in the red zone, you are unlikely to get cleared.

Running an ISP mail provider, I find most blocklists are fair, although Microsoft's is the longest to wait and deal with. The appeal process is also backwards (ie. you have to reply to the ticket that says in no uncertain terms do not reply to this ticket). But usually if the auto-delist system hasn't cleared after your SNDS rate has fallen, appealing to the ticket usually gets good results through them. I see a few appeals on mailop, but most of them haven't gone through the proper normal steps that Microsoft has laid down.

They don't seem capricious or arbitrary to me. They really do make sure you are on the ball with your own rate limiters and compromised account detectors.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon