Reply to post: Re: Very sad

Linux Journal runs shutdown -h now for a second time: Mag editor fires parting shot at proprietary software

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Very sad

How about finding some way to support the unpaid beardies instead of saying it's either/or

Let's just say that the likes of Stallman don't live in the real world. Especially Stallman can afford to do so because someone else pays them a living and so reality is kept at a comfortable distance, but you learn very quickly to never let a suit near the bearded socks-n-sandal wearers if you want to convince them to sponsor something - if anything, they'd flee to Microsoft in a New York second.

I tend to find ways to buy support because that's a valid business argument I can get a budget for, and so helps keeping the lights on for the people who put a lot of time and effort in to write sometimes truly amazing code, but my business experience with FOSS enthusiasts is that they tend to live quite close to the line where enthusiasm becomes fanatism - it's not a good idea to let an inexperienced manager/budget holder anywhere near them. Sadly, it would unsell quickly.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon