Reply to post: Re: Doesn't feel nice...

Microsoft follows up those licensing hikes by snipping away costs for Azure Archive Storage

doublelayer Silver badge

Re: Doesn't feel nice...

"To charge you to get your data out of the cloud is IMHO stark raving bonkers but there again, it really isn't your data any longer now is it????"

What do you expect? You put data on a server that is connected remotely, so if you're getting data off it, it is bandwidth you're using. That, like CPU time or disk space, is a limited resource, so there's a cost to using it. I think the stated price sounds too high, but it seems logical to me that data retrieval would cost money. If it did not, they'd be providing me unlimited bandwidth, which history has shown to always be more expensive for the provider than they planned. I'm very happy if they choose to do that, but I'm not surprised that they don't. Of course, they could wrap some amount of data transfer in the purchase of disk space, for example giving enough to perform a complete retrieval once, but then people would complain that they were being charged for transfer they weren't using if they left their data in for a longer period.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon