Reply to post: Western World Problems

Even tech giants find themselves telling folk not to use default passwords on Internet of S**t kit

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Western World Problems

I'm not nominally a fan of IoS**T, although an exception is my hot tub. Being able to remote into it to tell it to warm up before leaving the office; or check the pH and chlorine levels electronically is all rather convenient. Western World problems, eh?

It is sat behind a Netgear range extender with firewall thoroughly closed off, and behind my home network also.

Interestingly, the supplier's own policy is such that they will not touch a users home network AT ALL, under any circumstances, because if something later messes up with the home network (suppliers fault or not) they do not want to be accused of being responsible for it. On the plus side, this means a nerd like me can configure the hardware to reasonably secure the system. For those mere mortals that bodge their way through on default passwords, well, they are doomed.

The vendor is pretty thorough at issuing firmware updates for the PLC on the tub too.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon