Reply to post: Re: Ahhh passwords...

Our hero returns home £500 richer thanks to senior dev's appalling security hygiene

Kiwi
Paris Hilton

Re: Ahhh passwords...

And this is why paranoid autosaves should be a thing. "Oh, the user has typed something? Let me save that, along with the last 2,000 other things they did, so they can undo/redo to their heart's content."

That can sometimes be a very bad thing in it's own right.

Client's kid thought they'd make the computer faster by a 'factory reset'. Mom and Dad's tax documents and other stuff were there and not backed up. They brought it to me to do a recovery, and I ran a basic tool (possible "GetDataBack" - nice tool to have!).

The problem is, there were a lot of documents recovered, and no obvious way to tell which was the latest. Autosaves every 5 minutes or less, meaning a new copy, where they might have the document open pretty much all day every day..... They were a bit upset that I didn't just recover the latest ones.

I tried to explain how much was there and how much time would be involved, and suggested they could pay me to NOT work on any one else's machine for a few days to trawl through it all, OR they could give me some information that'd narrow it down (like a very recent cheque or other transaction).. But being clients - very much like another word that is just missing the E - (CLINTS - if you connect the dots...), well... I should've handled that better but I was all out of quicklime :(

HP's easy 'factory reset' and people's inability to read and comprehend stuff like "THIS WILL DELETE ALL OF YOUR DATA" gave me a lot of work at times.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon