Reply to post: angry but trying to be honest and nice

Our hero returns home £500 richer thanks to senior dev's appalling security hygiene

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

angry but trying to be honest and nice

anonymous for the obvious reasons.

Years ago the place I worked for was stuck with a vendor's crappy software, one of those long term contracts. I had already reverse-engineered several features of the thing as it was a mess, when I found their main developer's credentials en clair, just like that, in the middle of a goulash of code.

I immediately ran to my supervisor, as, in the previous months, I had developed quite an adversarial relationship with that bloke and his box, who refused to see any sense, something my supervisor knew about and was starting to get concerned.

What I wanted was to make sure that he knew that I knew that he knew, etc., that if something happened to the guy on the other end, as he rightfully deserved and it was when rather than if, I had nothing to do with. Supe wasn't overly impressed, but could see some of the twisted logic involved.

I moved out of such temptation a few months later, and been happier since.

Wouldn't be surprised that that developer's outfit is gone - I mean, they probably got infected and wiped out at least twice before folding, but I really don't care, and wont't

Oh what a saint, right?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon