Reply to post: Good ol' gov security. Of the people, by the people, and for the people.

Our hero returns home £500 richer thanks to senior dev's appalling security hygiene

Drew Scriver

Good ol' gov security. Of the people, by the people, and for the people.

Back in the 90s I had a summer job as a mail carrier in a European country. We had to do a final sort of the mail at the distribution center (centre) before we loaded everything on our bicycles for delivery. As one might expect, the distribution center had some security, complete with coded door locks. Very fancy for those days. Of course, everyone used the same code, but at least the code lock looked impressive.

About six months after this summer job I suffered the agony of a flat tire (tyre) on my bicycle. Of course this was the one time I didn't have my repair kit on me and it was after 6 so all the stores were closed.

Nearing desperation (I had a 1.5 hour bike ride home ahead of me - much longer if I had to walk) I realized (realised) that I was very close to said postal facility. Which, of course, had ample repair kits since all their carriers rode bikes to delivery the mail. I rang the door bell, but this being after hours and all nobody answered.

The fancy code lock beckoned...

Nah - probably not a good idea.

I rang the bell again, with the same result.

The fancy code lock winked at me...

Nah - not a good idea. Besides, they would surely have changed the code after giving it to a bunch of snot-nosed students that summer.

The fancy code lock begged me, pleaded with me, assured me all would be well.

Considering my plight, I agreed with the fancy code lock and punched in the code I still remembered from my hated summer job.

I was awarded with a satisfying click and the door swung open...

PS

Yes, there was still someone in the building who found me and demanded to know how I got in. And no, he had no idea where the repair kits were kept. And yes, he was happy to walk with me to the manager's office where I showed him in which cabinet the kits were kept. Did I need help fixing my flat? Nah - I'll manage. Thanks, though.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon