Reply to post: Re: "download a pristine copy of the OS from Microsoft's cloud servers"

Ouch. Reinstalling Windows 10 again? By 2020, a 'cloud download' may be all you need

DuncanLarge Silver badge

Re: "download a pristine copy of the OS from Microsoft's cloud servers"

> if you are getting lots of windows crash and burns then you are doing something wrong.

Like running what is considered by some to be a toy operating system?

https://www.grc.com/sn/sn-298.htm

- Steve: I like Windows.

- Leo: Oh.

- Steve: I don't like Windows 7. I like XP. Maybe someday I'll like Windows 7.

- Leo: But Steve, it's a toy operating system. You said it.

- Steve: It is a toy. And, I mean, it really is.

Sure Steve Gibson was talking about XP but, here is the epiphany, windows hasn't changed much at all underneath. Its the same code with a different UI slapped on it every few years with only a few parts being changed or replaced, which turn out to be broken or not fit for purpose while they slowly re-introduce the original feature set of the original code. Now that Win 10 is a constant beta they can change loads, and test it on you.

Windows 10: Stable as a rock, till it rolls off the edge.

Windows 10: Stable as a rock, till the forced major update re-maps all your drives because the developer didn't perform a regression test thinking it should be YOUR job.

Windows 10: Stable as a rock till the next forced update is recalled several times as it keeps wiping user data.

Windows 10: Stable as a rock, when it works yes, but provides you with several inconsistent UI design elements that change depending which program you are using, two control panels, fast start up mode that means shutdown IS NO LONGER SHUTDOWN and gets turned back on EVERY TIME AN UPDATE GETS INSTALLED, a talking AI thing called cortana that everyone rushes to turn off when setting up a new machine, and you used to like creating your own custom theme/look? Well sorry but you cant do that anymore. You cant chose the f*cking title bar colour to fix the stupid UI choice of making the active and background title bars THE SAME COLOUR SO I CANT TELL WHAT APPLICATION HAS FOCUS.

WIndows 10 best feature? The right click menu on the start menu. Ok, its been there since 8.1 but I love it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon