Reply to post: a bit of info from Stacktrace...

As many as 100,000 IBM staff axed in recent years as Big Blue battles to reinvent itself from IT's 'old fuddy duddy'

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

a bit of info from Stacktrace...

I know that Stacktrace is not exactly scientific, but according to their stats, the average software developer is about 28.5 years old. Half of all developers leave the field before age 40. (!!!!!) Just three percent of developers are aged 50-60, and just 0.8% of developers are over age 60.

I am in a small company(now, from HP ten years ago where I was ageism laid off) where a few of us in the over-55 age range know a LOT of the underlying system and the subject matter. Younger guys have come and gone, and never learned the underlying business logic. Thus, they were relegated to UI and other areas where business logic was unnecessary. We are in a place where our knowledge (over the new and shiny) is valued.

Here is another thing about the millennials and new grads... in their lives beginning from college, they have NEVER had to learn a new computer language, and very few new technologies in order to stay relevant. Conservatively speaking, I have worked in OVER 30 computer and scripting languages. I have had to in order to keep relevant and employed. The later generations have a HUGE shock coming when everything they have ever known shifts... as it did from basic/fortran/cobol to C to C++ to java, with all of the different operating systems and scripting languages. Once out of college, nobody teaches you these new things and it is up to the individual to stay relevant. Most young devlopers have only EVER worked in Java (some C++ or a visual language), and have worked mainly in either MS or Linux. Now, I am generalizing here, but you get my point. Since Java came on the scene in the middle 90's, the field has been dominated by Java/javascript and all of their supporting frameworks, and these folks have NEVER had to retool or remake themselves... ever!

The most important thing is to not take a position that pigeon-holes you in a dying technology. Find a shop open to new technology, and keep learning.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019