Reply to post: Self inflicted problem

New UK Home Sec invokes infosec nerd rage by calling for an end to end-to-end encryption

Electronics'R'Us
Black Helicopters

Self inflicted problem

Poor Pritti and other embarrassed politicians and various 3 and 4 letter agencies.

If the governments around the world (particularly the five eyes as revealed by Mr. Snowden) had not been trawling everything possible, then the push for end to end encrypted personal communications might not have been as hard, but after the revelations that they were spying on their own populations without good reason (other than trying to use computers where a real brain would be better and of course for the power trip) and slurping everything (which makes them no better than China in that respect) people decided it was none of their business what they were chatting about.

Given that the various acts in the UK leave basically no privacy otherwise, it is of no surprise to anyone in technology that end to end encryption is very popular indeed. Methods to defeat (admittedly currently highly inaccurate) facial recognition are continuing apace, apparently.

As it is, I personally use Signal for messaging (which is indeed end to end encrypted and I cannot give any keys because I simply do not know them).

So my perspective is tough shit; you all brought it on yourselves.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019