Reply to post: Re: Stalin would be so proud of him

Backdoors won't weaken your encryption, wails FBI boss. And he's right. They won't – they'll fscking torpedo it

Rich 11

Re: Stalin would be so proud of him

In most of Europe there are complete bans on carrying guns and bans on carrying anything that can be used as a weapon even.

I didn't know I was banned from carrying an umbrella, a rolled-up newspaper or a walking stick.

In both Britain and the United States modern gun control schemes showed up not when lawmakers saw large amounts of violent crime (They're usually well protected from that) but when circumstances were looking like there was going to be a revolt (Communists in Britain and disaffected former soldiers who were being denied their wages for WWI in the U.S.)

When has it ever looked like there was going to be a Communist revolt in Britain? On the contrary, I can remember Conservative politicians in the 1980s telling people that Michael Foot wanted to ban guns because they'd be used to resist the Communist revolution he wanted to instigate, which was a complete lie. In the end, the only ban we've seen was the large-calibre rifle and handgun ban brought about by the Conservative government in 1996 after the Dunblane massacre, which was extended in 1997 to include .22-calibre handguns by the New Labour government. Not even their greatest detractors would ever accuse New Labour of wanting to advance the cause of communism...

To the point where people who are attacked by robbers in their own homes end up going to jail in some places if they injure one of the poor dears who broke in with murderous intent.

I want to see you back this up with evidence. If you chase after someone who you've scared away, and beat them half to death in the street then, yes, you can face prosecution. You make it sound like self-defence of home and family isn't allowed, when it most certainly is.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon