Reply to post: Re: Too Easy

Here we go: Uncle Sam launches antitrust probe into *cough* Facebook, Google *cough* Amazon *splutter* Twitter...

Timmy B

Re: Too Easy

I'll bite back :)

Free speech not the same as having the ability to shout fire in a crowded theatre. This is well covered ground. Hate speech is not the same. I am allowed to say I dislike x group on y grounds, as is anyone. I am not allowed to incite violence against x group for z reasons. There is a difference between inciting harm and hate speech. If I don't have the ability to offend others by my freedom of speech then I don't have freedom of speech. I know this full well as I like in a country that has both hate speech rules and no codified freedom of speech - the UK.

There are many many people spreading hate and discord without an imaginary sky friend - antifa being the first example to trip off my mind. Antifa do, of course, have the right to spread hate. But NOT violence. At the point your speech turns to violence you have lost any argument imo.

You turned form a measurable (liberals v conservatives) objective question to sensible vs raving extremists - a totally subjective measure. How many people with extreme anti capitlaist views are banned? Very very few. There are many antifa groups still on social media? It's all very easy to change the question to one that meets your bias and narrative.

If you look I have said many times that objectionable speech should be allowed by ANYONE. I don't want censorship for ANYONE. I also don't want people to be violent. It is only by discourse - even if you don't like what I say, or vice versa, that we get better.

If wanting that makes me an arsehole - so be it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon