Reply to post: Testing testing testing

I don't know but it's been said, Amphenol plugs are made with lead

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Testing testing testing

I always tell clients that they need to schedule regular tests of any redundancy (both physical and logical) they depend on, because the tests done once when things are installed right before going into production aren't sufficient. ESPECIALLY where software is concerned i.e. clusters, but hardware tests of redundancy where feasible is a good practice if you are already taking down the hardware for regular patches, configuration changes, etc.

Some are smart enough to schedule the time, others aren't. You can only tell them, you can't make them perform the tests regularly.

When I've worked with HP blades before they seemed very good about reporting module failure, so I'm surprised that failed power supply wasn't alerted previously. Or perhaps it was and it was sitting in someone's queue ("no need to rush on this because it still has power")

Having the ability to have a lot of power supplies, of different types, to meet a wide range of needs is nice but the monitoring needs to be able to tell you how much redundancy is left so replacement can be properly prioritized.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon