Reply to post: Re: despite every audience member knowing how things will play out,

Finally in the UK: Apollo 11 lands... in a cinema near you

awavey

Re: despite every audience member knowing how things will play out,

you say that, but actually the one thing this movie/documentary does bring home in spades is the tension of the moment those people were in at the time it was happening, those people you are seeing on the film didnt know how it would turn out, they were living the moment not acting it, knowing the risks, knowing the enormity of the fact no-one had done this before, so you do feel their emotion and the tenseness of the key moments and the relief when it works, they knew how big a risk they were taking, which I think in the post Apollo11 era, hey everything worked a charm why were worried, we forget how crazy an idea it was to strap people to a Saturn V rocket and send them off to the moon and do this stuff. You literally see how rudimentary & flimsy the lunar module was, it visibly flexes just under reaction control thrusts, its made of baco foil, and we sent people to the moon in it.

I was sitting there at the end through the re-entry part,which is incredibly moving, and thinking my god I know they made it, unless Ive slided into some weird alternate universe, but this is actually worse than watching Apollo 13 in realtime, because again the footage you are watching, no one can predict the future of whats happening, they are reacting to events.

I dont believe the next lunar mission will ever launch with only a 50/50 chance of success which are the best odds they had at launch of coming home for Apollo 11

see it in IMAX, get immersed in it, it wont be the same on the small screen

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon