Reply to post: You missed the Makos.

RIP Netezza, IBM’s FPGA-powered data warehousing dream

wessexchap

You missed the Makos.

Unfortunately the article has forgotten the Mako line N3001-0xx (including the Mini-mako - N3001-001 which didn't include FPGAs) which whilst past the End-of-Marketing (Apr 2018) has no End-of-Support date: https://www-01.ibm.com/software/support/lifecycleapp/PLCSearch.wss?q=n3001&ibm-search=Search

Also the fact that the INZA in-database analytics functions (which were part of the appeal to quite a few customers) were incorporated into DB2-Blu Cloud offerings and DashDB - which is now just DB2 on IBM Cloud. So the Netezza tech is not quite entirely gone...

Spark was probably the bigger reason for the end of the FPGA based hardware, given you could just shove memory at the problem rather than having large, expensive tin which needed dedicated space and links to your network.

I worked on these boxes for a couple of years, and everyone I met (albeit a limited number) loved their simplicity and speed. As hardware I won't miss replacing HDDs every week, but as a data warehouse tool I thought they were great.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon