Reply to post: Re: Governments don't like to think of themselves as repressive

White House mulls just banning strong end-to-end crypto. Plus: More bad stuff in infosec land

Kiwi

Re: Governments don't like to think of themselves as repressive

So it's actually quite difficult for a democratic government to be truly repressive.

Actually it's trivial for a government to be repressive. I grew up under the anti-gay laws in the 70's and 80's, but for a much better example of 'repression' - just look at the sheer amount of anti 'freedom of speech' stuff that's coming in now. Not just in law, but also in social media - Have a very popular YT video and say you felt uncomfortable seeing a whole lot of guys prancing around nearly naked in public? Sorry, no more YT for you. Want to speak out against the terror that's being promoted with 'Climate Change' (and I mean 'terror' as in "we have to urgently do something very drastic right now without stopping to think about it, regardless of the cost or harm"[1]), or even promote different ways to combat climate issues? Sorry, not allowed.

I want to be able to speak my mind, pro-gay pro-life young-earth Creationist pro-carbon anti-pollution pro-clean energy. That means if you're anti-Christian, pro-babymurder, pro-climate change, viciously anti-gay then I have to let you have a platform as well. But today - well look at what we have going on. It is socially unacceptable to speak out against or for certain things, and we have a large portion of the public screaming for law changes to make expressing the opposing side's view illegal.

The government merely has to give society what society is screaming for, and very soon they'll be cheered for executing people who're standing up for the views our fathers and grandfathers went to war to support only a couple of generations ago :(

[1] Wise up - "Carbon Zero" = "Life Zero" - get rid of plastics and other pollutants sure, but we depend on carbon nearly as much as we depend on clean water - take either one out of the environment and all life on earth dies

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon