Reply to post: Re: millimetric RF

Bonkers British MPs rant: 5G signals cause cancer

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: millimetric RF

That's the question:

We know that it's not a good idea to put your head in the line of sight of a high power microwave transmitter, so there is certainly good reason for accting in accordance with the precautionary principle, and trying to get a full understanding of the risks of any new technology.

As far as I am aware, there has been little evidence of any significant risks from current mobile technologies, but 5G will operate at a noticeably higher frequency (shorter wavelength) than previous generations.

I'm neutral (but also not very well informed) on the matter, but do we know whether the new frequency range is likely to have any new adverse effects?

There are people who will always panic at the thought of any new and advanced technology indistinguishable from magic, unfortunately, but do we have any easily-digestible research to show that there are no additional risks? (Genuine question: a friend of mine unfortunately follows some rather panicky websites, and I'd like to try to offer factual reassurance.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019