Reply to post: Re: Follow the money

2001: Linux is cancer, says Microsoft. 2019: Hey friends, ah, can we join the official linux-distros mailing list, plz?

NATTtrash

Re: Follow the money

Microsoft has been always about the money... not about the high “moral” ground.

It's sobering, but I'm afraid you're right there...

Thing however is that there is a clash of ideology that should be resolved now or else it's indeed going to rot from the inside. And that doesn't mean bad code so much.

So...

[] When is MS going to open up their code?

[] When is MS going to conform to ISO standards?

[] When is MS going to facilitate full compatibility?

[] When is MS going to subscribe to, let's be honest, the core of the matter, the open source ideology and philosophy?

Right now, MS contributes to *nix in a one-way, self-serving manner. It fosters *nix like a sweat shop owner in Bangladesh looks after the well-being of its child labourers. And yes, that's is to be expected. They are a commercial institute. And yes again, I know, there are "other companies" in there right now. But MS? FFS! The *nix community will confirm the internal train-of-thought and strategy of MS: "Ah, don't worry, they are all stupid ideological hippies, we will give them the run around and cash in any way. Just tell them the year of the Linux Desktop is this year."

The image of the unwashed, sandal wearing tree hugger, who takes the slick geezers word at face value, believes their arguments "because they are really nice if you come to know them actually. They say they recycle!", and doesn't ask for anything back. And the latter doesn't mean lines of code. Because that is only to their own advantage. It should mean, to just mention a minor detail, drop the proprietary crap, open up, and share more than a bloody calculator on the, turned-brothel, dev platform they annexed recently. Oh, and what about asking them to pay their yearly "Linux 365" extortion subscription fee or we make your boxen useless? (Yeeees, I know, they probably already contribute pocket money, but again, think about the ideology...)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon