Reply to post: Re: If cows had wings..

Bill G on Microsoft's biggest blunder... Was it Bing, Internet Explorer, Vista, the antitrust row?

Lars Silver badge
Happy

Re: If cows had wings..

A nix* kernel doesn't incorporate a graphical user interface, that part is done on top of the kernel.

The choice Gates had was to write Windows on top of a nix* kernel like Xenix, that would have created a very different Windows. To quote MS "the company stated in 1981.[8] Microsoft referred to its own MS-DOS as its "single-user, single-tasking operating s ystem",[31] and advised customers that wanted multiuser or multitasking support to buy Xenix".

In fact such a Windows would have become very similar to any Linux distro, a nix* kernel with the GUI like Gnome or KDE or ..., but be called Windows. Such a Windows would compete with Linux on supercomputers.

I don't want to sound rude or something but I started programming before Gates and Jobs and I have been able to live the history of both Windows and Unix and older stuff.

We are where we are and things happened for various reasons, now in the past, but that doesn't stop us from playing with the "what if ..".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon