Reply to post: Re: How many home users *need* the admin password anyway ?

Freaking out about fiendish IoT exploits? Maybe disable telnet, FTP and change that default password first?

JimboSmith Silver badge

Re: How many home users *need* the admin password anyway ?

I was in the market for a couple of Ethernet (wifi if needed) connected cameras recently. These were for a home network so that I can view the front and back of the house. I saw a Hive camera system at a local store and enquired as to the suitability. The sales bloke asked if I had a decent broadband connection and I asked what that had to do with it? He said it had to be connected to British Gas for it to work. I said I wasn't going to do that because I didn't want images or video leaving the dedicated home network I set up for the cameras. The bloke made his case again for buying one but I said no thanks.

So quickly he suggests Ring which I pointed out needs an internet connection too. He asked if I had thought this through as I wouldn't be able to see my home whilst away. I said that was true but then neither could anyone else. I eventually bought a couple of foscam ones that have pan and tilt. I hardwired them to a Buffalo wireless router and can see both sides of my house now.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon