Reply to post: Re: So, not great, not terrible

Sad SACK: Linux PCs, servers, gadgets may be crashed by 'Ping of Death' network packets

Kiwi
Linux

Re: So, not great, not terrible

If this was happening on Windows 10 would the comments be so blase?

I don't fucking think so.

Given the frequency with which winduhs crashes, and how often updates knock out the network etc, who'd notice?

Even if the updates didn't crash windoze, the multi-hour turnaround time for shutting down and restarting several times for even minor updates means the chances of a winblows machine even having a chance to do anything on the net other than suck massive loads of bandwidth to download even more system-hosing updates is vanishingly small.

I've upated half a dozen Linux machines since my first post in this thread. Only two needed rebooting, only one has had a reboot (the other will do so when it's owner goes to bed tonight). None of the other users even noticed anything - they still play their games or browse or stream etc without so much as a pause in activity. All updates are finished. When they turn the machines off tonight there's no 'Configuring updates. Please cross your fingers, go away for several hours, and hope&pray your machine restarts again', it just shuts down. When they turn them on tomorrow the updates are done, there's no "Fucked it up again. Reverting changees... Oh look new updates to install! No fucked it up again. Reverting changes.. Oh look! New updates!" loop to get stuck in, nor a 40minutes+ "installing updates" delay to wait around for while their productivity for the day goes out the window.

MS got it backwards - it's supposed to be "Handle major updates without even minor aggravation" not "handle minor updates with MAJOR AGGRAVATION"

(Now which icon... Am I trolling? Flaming? PTSD-angry??

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon