Reply to post: Things don't always work the way they are designed.

This isn't Boeing to end well: Plane maker to scrap some physical cert tests, use computer simulations instead

STOP_FORTH
Boffin

Things don't always work the way they are designed.

I remember reading about some testing performed by Boeing in a wind tunnel. Wind tunnel models are normally scaled down, otherwise you would need enormous wind tunnels. You can further reduce the size of the model by only building the left or right half meaning that your wind tunnel only has to be half as wide. This assumes that air flow actually flows along the centre line of the aircraft.

Every test was tickety-boo. When the 'plane went into service they found that it had two stable attitudes and it flipped between the two. The tail was something like eight feet to the left or right of the direction of travel and the 'plane yawed between the two every so often. (It wasn't the same size of offset in both directions for some reason.) So all of the wind-tunnel tests were meaningless. (Note, this was a physical test, not a simulation.)

I think the model was the original 737.

I'm sure everything will be fine as long as they don't make any unwarranted assumptions.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019