Reply to post: Re: The Open University provides 0365 and doesn't accept open document format

Large Redmond Collider: CERN reveals plan to shift from Microsoft to open-source code after tenfold license fee hike

DuncanLarge Silver badge

Re: The Open University provides 0365 and doesn't accept open document format

I studied in DMU and had the same issue back in 2004 or so.

I was learning OO programming with Java and was the only student who carried around a laptop running GNU/Linux and old Toshiba Satellite 4000 CDT with a barely usable battery. I used blackbox as my WM to save on RAM. I found it really infuriating to have to convert my documents to word format and then open them in word to check for errors. I of course correctly blamed the proprietary word format for this.

I remember demonstrating one of my Java programs to my lecturer on that laptop. He was very confused why it didnt look like windows and when I apologised for the laptop booting a little slow due to anacron doing a little housekeeping I had to explain what housekeeping was. Even though it was old, with a battery that lasted barely an hour and a half and anacron got in the way a little my laptop still was booted and ready before anyone elses.

Plus I could play Koules on it :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019