Reply to post: Re: The Open University provides 0365 and doesn't accept open document format

Large Redmond Collider: CERN reveals plan to shift from Microsoft to open-source code after tenfold license fee hike

dajames Silver badge

Re: The Open University provides 0365 and doesn't accept open document format

Well, I tutor on OU, and I think the default requirement is RTF format, which is pretty much lingua franca.

Far from being a "lingua franca" the term "RTF" describes a number of different and incompatible augmented text formats, none of which I have seen in serious use in the last 20 years or so -- though some people do occasionally save documents from MS Word in Microsoft's version of RTF, apparently in the mistaken belief that it is somehow more portable or less proprietary than .doc or .docx.

Oh, and "RTF format" is tautology ("Rich Text Format Format").

It is not so much what the OU will accept, it is what the tutor can read.

If the tutors are using Office 365, which we have been told is supplied, they can open .odt (OpenDocument Text) format documents. They may have to do something frightfully technical like selecting "OpenDocument Text" or "all files" in the file types dropdown in the "File open" dialog, but once that piece of rocket science has been mastered it should all be plain sailing.

Microsoft even explain the process on their website.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019