Reply to post: Re: If they were looking for customers to move to Azure...

Large Redmond Collider: CERN reveals plan to shift from Microsoft to open-source code after tenfold license fee hike

Smooth Newt
Meh

Re: If they were looking for customers to move to Azure...

I wonder why CERN doesn't fit the "academic institution" definition of Microsoft.

I guess it isn't an educational establishment. But, more pertinently, perhaps because it has a lot of money - CERN's budget last year was £900 million, and that doesn't include the money spent on the site by the institutions that make use of it, for example in building and operating the actual high energy physics experiments (which CERN mostly doesn't pay for).

CERN is locked into Microsoft - not just because of the "beancounters" (and those thousands of scientists, engineers and other support staff who also use Microsoft software) - but because all those other institutions (i.e. CERN's customers) have academic licences. Microsoft have probably reasoned that with this much money sloshing about, CERN will huff and puff a bit, perhaps even threaten to move away from using Microsoft software, and then just pay up.

And Microsoft are correct.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019