Reply to post: Re: Can someone explain...

Oblivious 'influencers' work on 3.6-roentgen tans in Chernobyl after realising TV show based on real nuclear TITSUP

Muscleguy

Re: Can someone explain...

As a Bioscientist I know that the bacon thing (all fried/roasted cured meats) has not been shown to be causative and it still remains true that the biggest consumers of them almost all have lots of other unhealthy habits and bodies the proposed mechanism is scientifically plausible. So caution in terms of limiting your exposure is warranted. The substance in question is nitrosamines if you want to look it up.

I make my own gluten free sausages and do sometimes put a cure on the meat. But the meat in a sausage should not be browned in the pan, the skin will be. So I struggle to see the link, unless you cook skinless snags in the frypan.

Note this is a separate issue to the general one of browning carbs in fat which purportedly produces acrylamides. Though with all these things the operative thing is dose and not al acrylamides are created equal in terms of toxicity. I have used them in the lab to cast gels but not for all that long or very recently (the technology has moved on, nobody casts dna sequencing gels any more).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon