Reply to post: Re: Firefox's global market share dwindles ...

This Free software ain't free to make, pal, it's expensive: Mozilla to bankroll Firefox with paid-for premium extras

JcRabbit

Re: Firefox's global market share dwindles ...

> @thosrtanner And I fail to see any performance improvement from the multi-process firefox

As someone who keeps a TON of tabs open at all times, I have.

First there was the problem FF being 32 bit for a long time, which meant the whole thing came crashing down once the max 2GB address space was exhausted. Once the 64 bit version came out, the problem became memory fragmentation slowing the browser to a crawl. With multi-process this too was eventually solved, but now the browser QUICKLY used up ALL of your system's memory when you let it (actually one of the reasons why I went from 16 GB RAM to 32 GB RAM on my new system, only to find it didn't matter how much RAM your system had, FF would eventually grab ALL of it lol).

Ironically enough, it was the emergency release after armagaddon that fixed this issue too... FF is now a lot more conservative in how it uses total system RAM with no apparent adverse effects. I, for one, am now happy. :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon