Reply to post: Re: I'll say it again....

You won't guess where European mobile data was rerouted for two hours. Oh. You can. Yes, it was China Telecom

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: I'll say it again....

"The Firewalls are to a large degree in response to US belligerence and hardly surprising that countries the US would like to exclude from the rest of the world would want their own self contained internets if the worst happened."

For the Russian firewalls, are they really down to US belligerence or is it Russia's attitude towards the rest of the world? Russia has realised the importance of large scale hosting/cloud solutions without really developing it's own significant player in the market. To prevent US/Chinese companies filling this role and making Russia vulnerable in a future international crisis, the firewalls are a step to force Russian companies to avoid an over-dependence on the Internet. There will be areas where over-dependence can't be helped (outsourced IT as an obvious example) but at lease it allows Russia to choose/push companies away from services that may cause significant issues. Whether this stance is justified based on history/politics/the Russian political mindset etc is left as an exercise for the reader but I believe, driven by externalities.

The Chinese (and similarly the Middle Eastern countries using similar solutions) are largely around controlling information and driven by internal policies around controlling their respective populations and their populations access to information rather than being driven by concerns about the activities of other countries. For China, I'd point to Winnie the Pooh as an example of this type of policy.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon