Reply to post: Re: Clouds rule OK!

Like using the latest version of Microsoft Office? Love Offline Files? Not for long!

Jakester

Re: Clouds rule OK!

Many years ago, I spent about 4 months of 1/2 days to make a set of Excel spreadsheets work similarly to present-day workbooks using the powerful macros in Excel at that time. A master spreadsheet would get and manipulate data in 60 other spreadsheets to analyze training schedules for 16 groups of people. It worked great (although slow, taking up to 3 hours to complete with the 8086's of the day. It was obsoleted with the next version of Excel obsoleted the old macros.

Now, those types of things can be done in pivot tables. Some of the pivot tables I use are easy to setup and use in Libre Office. I have attempted to some of them in Microsoft's Excel with little success. There is often extraneous information I don't need that gets thrown-in and usually information I need that just won't seem to pop-out with Excel.

Libre Office never prompts/encourages me to put things in the cloud. I assume Open Office Org is also friendly in that regard. Both Libre Office and Open Office have roots in Star Office, I used Star Office, purchasing each new version that was released. When Sun Microsystems acquired the company and changed the name to Open Office (making it available free to all), I switched to that. When Oracle bought Sun, some nervous Nellies created a new fork of the code and Libre Office was born. I too was a nervous about anything associated with Oracle, so I switched to Libre Office. Functionality has steadily improved over the years.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon