Reply to post: Re: Definitely of Interest

When two tribes go to war... Intel, AMD tease new chips at Computex: Your spin-free summary

chuckufarley Silver badge

Re: Definitely of Interest

"Because there is no market need to ship a 16 core part at this time."

I do not think that there is a "Consumer" market for 8 or 12 core chips at this point in time. Any workload that needs more than 4 cores (and therefore requires more processing power a laptop CPU could provide) is not really the kind of thing the general consumer is likely to engage in. While there are some notable exceptions (i.e. gaming, content creation, and perhaps software development) I think that high core counts in consumer parts will just add idle cores most of the time.

Based on that I am willing to predict that after the marketing hype battles between Intel and AMD have calmed down these more powerful "Consumer" CPUs from both brands will eventually be considered niche products and be folded back into the workstation and server class SKUs in order to cut the costs of production and maximize profits for all of the manufacturers in the channel. I don't think this will happen in less than five years but I have been wrong before.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon