Reply to post: Re: Stop it.

Let's make laptops from radium. How's that for planned obsolescence?

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Stop it.

Some years ago, I bought a refurbished PC, the kind that lays flat and you stick a monitor on top. Had it for the better part of a decade myself, then a year or two ago passed it on to a friend whose Win95/98 (I'm unsure which, but from their description was almost certainly one or the other) PC had finally given up the ghost, and him and his wife are still happily using it (running Linux Mint) now. Does perfectly well for browsing the web, sending emails and suchlike.

Compared to them, I'm a power user - because I like playing games, and my gaming machine is also a refurb, no idea how old it is, but I suspect better part of a decade, but thanks to Steam, there's plenty of decent games of the types I like to play that I can play. Sure, I'd love to have been able to afford to buy a bespoke gaming rig, but I'm not sure I;d have bought one even if i could, because my experience with refurbed PC's has been so good - they just seem to keep on going and going. I guess its because they're made up of components that didn't die quickly, and so are probably sligjhtly better quality than average (there's always going to be some variability in build quality), so they last longer.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon